Monday 22 March 2010

Brussels: Manneken Pis does Elvis!


As a regular visitor to Brussels I occasionally have a stroll through the Grand Place. When there I find myself often tempted to stroll down a nearby side street to visit the Manneken Pis: a little statue of a peeing boy. It must say something about the people of Belgium (though I'm not sure what exactly) that they seem to take great pride in this 61 cm (24 inch) tall bronze figure.


It's always great fun for myself and for the constant crowds of tourists that visit him that although naked on most days the citizens of Brussels will occasionally dress him up in variety of costumes. I could understand that he may wear the occasional military uniform or folk costume but sometimes, just sometimes he appears in wholly unexpected attire. The picture in this blog shows him dressed as Elvis!


It's good to see that there is a country that doesn't take their "national treasures" too seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment