Monday 22 March 2010

Brussels: The Sequence


The offices I regularly visit in Brussels are just opposite the Flemish Parliament. I noticed about a year ago some colourful scaffolding being erected outside the parliament. When it had been up for some time with no visible sign of any construction work being carried out I wandered over to have a closer look. It then became obvious that it was not scaffolding but some new sculpture!

The piece is called The Sequence by an artist called Arne Quinze. I have yet to meet any Belgium that likes this work, but I believe that it is only meant to last a few years. To call it incongruous is an understatement but it is very different, very big and very colourful.

If, on a trip to Brussels, you happen to be near the Flemish Parliament then I do recommend that come come and see it for yourself so you can make up your own mind about this rather striking and thoroughly modern sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment