Monday 22 March 2010

Stockholm: The Vasa Museum


Occasionally I have a couple of hours to spare between checking out of my hotel and heading of to a meeting or airport or whatever.
When visiting Stockholm I took advantage of one of these rare opportunities and headed off to one of Stockholm's smaller museums that had been recommended to me by a friend.

The Vasa Museum is a definite must see if you are in Stockholm. The museum houses the salvaged and strikingly well preserved 17th century warship, the Vasa. It is nearly complete and is covered in some remarkably intricate and ornate carvings. As well as gazing in awe at the vessel (and trust me you will) there is section in the museum on 17th century life in Stockholm. I found the whole experience captivating and thoroughly enjoyable. A very focussed and well designed exhibit.

If you do have some spare time in Stockholm, then this is definitely a "must see".

No comments:

Post a Comment